anti-bacterial agent

MSLADE at RNA.BIO.MQ.EDU.AU MSLADE at RNA.BIO.MQ.EDU.AU
Thu Oct 9 20:18:55 EST 1997

I normally use 0.1% NaN3, added at a 1/100 from a 10% stock solution.  Note that azide
can interfere with coupling reactions.  Otherwise Thiomersal (an organic mercury
compound) can be used at 0.01% (I think).  Choose your poison.

Martin Slade
>To:            cellbiol at net.bio.net
>From:          David Hagerberg <David.Hagerberg at mbioekol.lu.se>
>Subject:       anti-bacterial agent
>Date:          Wed, 08 Oct 1997 14:37:09 +0100
>
>Hello!
>
>My brother-in-law has been recommended to use sodium azide (NaN3) as an
>antibacterial agent in his antibody-storage-medium.
>
>What concentration should he use?
>
>Azide is rather nasty, could he use anything else?
>
>The answers should be sent to
>
>Henrik.Mosen at farm.lu.se
>
>Best Wishes!

Martin Slade,