Advances in Cellular Imaging

James W. Larkin jamesl at healthtech.com
Tue Sep 9 07:01:48 EST 1997

Cambridge Healthtech Institute’s
Advances in Cellular Imaging
November 13-14, 1997
Westin Hotel Horton Plaza
San Diego, California

TECHNICAL TRENDS AND ADVANCES
Multiphoton Excitation Imaging and Photochemistry in Cells
and Tissue
        Dr. Warren Zipfel, Cornell University
Highly Resolved Cell and Tissue Optical Imaging in Real Time
        Dr. Daniel Farkas, Carnegie Mellon University
Combined Fluorescent and Gold Cluster Probes: "Simultaneous"
Labeling for Light and Electron Microscopy
        Dr. Richard Powell, NANOPROBES, Inc.
Novel Magnetic Messenger Labeling System
        Mr. Lonnie Adelman, Ericomp Inc.

VIEWING REAL-TIME CELLULAR CHANGES
Imaging Drug Uptake and Metabolism in Living Intestinal Tissue
with Confocal and Two-Photon Microscopy
        Dr. Marshall Montrose, Johns Hopkins University School
        of Medicine
Dynamic Changes in Intracellular pH and Ca2+
        Dr Randi Silver, Cornell University Medical College (invited)
Smart Magnetic Resonance Contrast Agents: A New Generation of
Image Enhancement Media
        Dr. Tom Meade, California Institute of Technology
Multiple Fluorescent Proteins and Fluorescence Microscopy to Monitor
Live Cell Activity or Screen for Protein Localization
        Dr. Neal Gliksman, Universal Imaging Corporation
Multiphoton Laser Scanning Fluorescence Microscopy
        Dr. Victoria Centonze Frohlich, University of Wisconsin-
        Madison

IMAGE ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION
Quantitative Molecular Image Analysis
        Dr. Branko Palcic, British Columbia Cancer Research
        Centre (invited)
Image Analysis Tools
        Dr. Paul Goodwin, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research
        Institute (invited)
Quantitative Automated Microscopy
        Dr. Frans Nauwelaers, Becton Dickinson Cellular Imaging
        Systems (invited)
Fluorescence Imaging MicroSpectrophotometer (FIMS)
        Dr. Douglas Youvan, KAIROS Scientific Inc.

SCREENING AND DRUG DEVELOPMENT
High-Content, Cell-Based Screening: Easing the Bottlenecks of
Target Validation and Optimization of Lead Compounds
        Dr. Kenneth Giuliano, BioDx, Inc.
Applications of the Fluorometric Imaging Plate Reader (FLIPR)
Technology to High-Throughput Screening
        Dr. Simon Pitchford, Molecular Devices Corporation
Use of Fluorescence Polarization in Drug Screening
        Dr. Michael Jolley, Jolley Consulting and Research Inc.
        (invited)
Fluorescence-Based Screening of Cellular Changes in Ion
Concentrations for Drug Development
        Dr. Carla Suto, SIBIA Neuroscience, Inc. (invited)
Imaging Requirements for Faster Drug Development: Screening with
Higher Density Formats
        Dr. Al Kolb, Packard Instrument Company (tentative)

Improved technology for imaging of cells and related targets is
having a dramatic impact on pharmaceutical research and development,
driven in part by the demand for greater speed, precision, and
automation. Novel strategies for labels, better software for image
enhancement and analysis, and progress integrating imaging with
other laboratory functions are being applied to a growing range of
applications. Advantages in such diverse segments as microscopy,
cytology, and cellular analysis, as well as more applied uses such as
assessment of gels and drug development screening, will be
discussed. All of these activities share a similar goal of rapidly
and correctly translating images into data that can be stored, used,
compared, and manipulated with as much ease and as little human
intervention as possible. These developments promise to have a
dramatic impact on laboratory productivity, and any research manager
involved in these segments should consider participating.

HOTEL INFORMATION
Westin Hotel Horton Plaza	Reservations made after the cut-off
910 Broadway Circle             date will be accepted on a space and
San Diego, CA 92101             rate availability basis. Available
                                rooms are limited, so please book
T: 619-239-2200                 early.
F: 619-239-0509                 Please identify yourself as a
Cut-off Date: October 30, 1997  Cambridge Healthtech Institute
Room Rate: $135 Single/Double   conference attendee to receive the
                                reduced room rate.

TRAVEL INFORMATION
TRAVELWORLD                     T: 717-288-9311 or 800-828-6033
601 Market Street               F: 717-288-4693
Kingston, PA 18704

Exclusive airline discounts are available on American Airlines as
well as other specific airlines when tickets are purchased through
TRAVELWORLD at least 14 days prior to the meeting date. Some
restrictions apply.

CALL FOR POSTERS
Cambridge Healthtech Institute encourages attendees to gain further
exposure by presenting their work in the poster sessions.  Please fill
out the registration form, with the poster title and primary author.
To ensure inclusion in the conference binder, a one-page summary must
be submitted by October 3, 1997.

CALL FOR EXHIBITORS
Space is available for companies interested in exhibiting products
and services related to cellular imaging. This meeting should attract
up to several hundred senior researchers and managers representing a
broad range of disciplines and perspectives. Please contact Jim MacNeil
of Cambridge Healthtech Institute at 617-630-1341 to obtain an exhibitor
package or to inquire about offering a workshop during the meeting.
Exhibit space is limited so call now to reserve a space at this premier
event.

Each registration includes all conference sessions, posters and
exhibits, one luncheon and reception, continental breakfasts, all
refreshment breaks, and a copy of the document binder.

Handicapped Equal Access: In accordance with the ADA, Cambridge
Healthtech Institute is pleased to arrange for special accommodations
for attendees with special needs. All requests for such assistance
must be submitted in writing to CHI at least 30 days prior to the
start of the meeting.

Substitution/Cancellation Policy
In the event that you need to cancel a registration you may:
        Transfer your registration to a colleague within your
        organization.
        Credit your registration to another Cambridge Healthtech
        Institute program.
        Request a refund minus a $75 processing fee.
        Request a refund minus the cost ($150) of ordering a copy
        of the document binder.
Cancellations will only be accepted up to one week prior to the
conference.

Program and speakers are subject to change.

------------------------Cut and Print Here------------------------

Yes!|__| Please register me for Advances in Cellular Imaging  571E

Advance Registration (by October 3, 1997)
     |__| $795 Commercial
     |__| $395 Academic, Government, Hospital-Affiliated
On-site or Late Registration (after October 3, 1997)
     |__| $895 Commercial
     |__| $445 Academic, Government, Hospital-Affiliated
FIRST NAME:______________________________________________________
LAST NAME:_______________________________________________________
TITLE:___________________________________________________________
DIV./DEPT.:______________________________________________________
COMPANY:_________________________________________________________
ADDRESS:_________________________________________________________
City/State/ZIP:__________________________________________________
COUNTRY:_________________________________________________________
TELEPHONE:____________________________ Fax:______________________
E-MAIL:__________________________________________________________
|__| Please send information on exhibiting and opportunities to
     present workshops.
|__| Enclosed is a check or money order payable to Cambridge
     Healthtech Institute, drawn on a U.S. bank, in U.S. currency.
|__| Please charge: |__| AMEX (15 digits) |__| Visa (13 to 16 digits)
                    |__| MasterCard (16 digits)
Card #:___________________________________________________________
Exp. Date:________________________________________________________
Cardholder's Name:________________________________________________
Signature:________________________________________________________
Cardholder's Address (if different from above):___________________
|__| Reserve with credit card information listed above and invoice
     me. (Invoices must be paid in full by the deadline to retain
     registration discount.  Invoices unpaid one week prior to
     conference will be billed to credit card at full registration
     rate.)
If you plan to register on site, please check with CHI beforehand
for space availability.
|__| I am interested in presenting a poster at ADVANCES IN CELLULAR
     IMAGING and will provide an abstract by October 17, 1997.

FAX or MAIL your reservation/registration to:
Cambridge Healthtech Institute  tel: 617-630-1300
1037 Chestnut Street            fax: 617-630-1325
Newton Upper Falls, MA 02164    e-mail: chi at healthtech.com
                                http:www.healthtech.com/conferences/