monensin in cell culture

Dennis Goode GOODE at ZOOL.UMD.EDU
Thu Sep 11 10:58:15 EST 1997

Ross Beck <r.beck at unsw.edu.au> asked a question on the subject
 monensin in cell culture
> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 15:32:28 +1100
>
> Hi, I wish to grow up some THP-1 (monocytic) cells, which I plan to hit
> with LPS so that they produce IL-8. But I want it stored
> intra-cellularly, not secreted. I've heard that monensin can be used for
> this sort of thing. Can anyone supply an expert opinion?

Ross,

We have used monensin to inhibit antibody synthesis from plasmacytoma
cells in culture and found that IgAs accumulate in the RER. It is a
sodium ionophore that inhibits protein transport thu the Golgi
apparatus (Tartakoff et al. 1981, Eur. J. Cell. Biol. 26: 188.)
We found that tunicamycin had a more dramatic effect, however.

-Dennis

Dr. M. Dennis Goode                 Phone (301) 405-6917
Department of Zoology               Fax   (301) 314-9358
University of Maryland              e-mail goode at zool.umd.edu
College Park MD 20742