Getting rid of bacterial contamination - HELP

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Fri Sep 12 10:39:31 EST 1997

In article <3418C28A.5487 at student.unsw.edu.net>,
tom <z2154398 at student.unsw.edu.net> wrote:

>Any suggestions on how to get rid of them? eg bacteriocidal agents,
>multiple washings, nuclear warfare.....?

Unless they're extremely precious cells, not available anywhere else, and
not saved as frozen stock, you're best off to just pitch them and start
over.

If you absolutely must save them, then I Have Heard (but never tested)
that you might be able to clean them up with multiple washes in sterile
PBS, followed by growing them in the presence of gentamicin.  Personally,
I'm pretty skeptical, but there you go.

Good luck.

Ian