Getting rid of bacterial contamination - HELP

Jackie E. Kylander jek at
Fri Sep 12 10:10:38 EST 1997

In article <3418C28A.5487 at>,
z2154398 at (tom) wrote:

> I have a bacterial contamination in my cell culture despite the presence
> of Pen/strep. Endothelial cells in DMEM.
> Any suggestions on how to get rid of them? eg bacteriocidal agents,
> multiple washings, nuclear warfare.....?
> Thanks in advance.
> Tina Yen
> z2184987 at

Are you sure it's bacterial? It could be the yeast phase of a fungus, in
which case you have a lot of work ahead (I usually toss the cultures and
start again from stock after thorough decontamination of surfaces and new
medium). I also routinely add gentamicin to my media along with the