Neuronal cell division

Eddie Edward.bollenbach at snet.net
Thu Sep 18 09:19:39 EST 1997

A colleague was explaining to me that neurons do not actively reproduce
because cellular fibers, needed for mitosis e.g. from centrioles, were
used in the process of cellular differentiation in the development of
axons. That being the case they are unavailable for division, ergo no
regeneration of spinal nerves and so on.

I was wondering if this idea is accepted and, if so, how does one
explain the regeneration of neurons in organisms like salamanders etc.,
where regeneration seems to occur just fine.

Thanks in advance.