Definition of cloning

Michael Dorsett Onken mdonken at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Apr 2 16:55:52 EST 1998

David Hagerberg (David.Hagerberg at mbioekol.lu.se) wrote:
: Hello,

: I am looking for the exact definition of "gene cloning". Does anyone
: know it by heart or can you tell me where to find it?

: Please respond to Jorgen.Holmen at eu.pnu.com since I am borrowing this
: computer.

: Thanx

: /Jorgen

Cloning is simply making a genetic duplicate of something.  Usually, when
we clone a gene, this means that we isolate the gene and attach it to a
vector which allows it to be inserted into bacteria, which then make
copies of the gene as they grow and divide.  Many of the experiments in
molecular biology require relatively large amounts of DNA, so cloning a
gene ensures that all of your smaple is made up of copies of your gene.
Since a clone is simply a genetic duplicate, any cell that divides
produces two clones.  Thus, a plate of dividing cells derived from a
single source can be considered a "clonal line."  Similarly two organisms
that are formed from the same genetic material are clones.  Identical
twins are clones, just as plants grown from cuttings are clones of the
original plant.  So gardeners clone roses, brewers clone yeast, and
mothers of identical twins clone humans.  Although cloning a single gene
is more arteficial, it is still just making copies.

Hope this helps,

Mike