Announcement of Competitive Awards of Travel Grants to
RBA Training Workshop
(Singapore, November 22 - 26, 1998)
This year the Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, will be
hosting the Reproductive Biology in Aquaculture (RBA) Training Workshop sponsored by the
International Union of Biological Sciences (IUBS). The theme of this Workshop is the Molecular
Aquaculture of Fish with the focus on:
(2) Sex determination
(3) Molecular Endocrinology
(4) Developmental Biology
(5) Molecular Genetics
Objectives of Workshop:
(1) To provide young promising scientists in Asia with state-of-the-art knowledge
on current developments through lectures and seminars by renowned scientists;
(2) To provide hands-on opportunities to acquire knowledge of specific molecular
techniques useful for aquaculture;
(3) To foster the exchange of ideas and future collaboration among participants.
Spread over four days, the Workshop will comprise lectures and poster sessions in the
mornings and practicals in the afternoons, in addition to opportunities to visit fish
farms and other research institutions.
(1) Following candidates are eligible for consideration: PhD students in the final
stages of their research programmes, fresh PhD graduates, or young scientists
in academia or research institutions;
(2) Must show good records of research excellence in the form publications in
Science Citation Index journals;
(3) Age of not exceeding 35 years old;
(4) Citizens of Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia,
Myanmar, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Several highly competitive travel grants covering full return air-fares and
accommodation are available to the best-qualified candidates.
The one-day annual postgraduate Congress organized by graduate students of the
Department of Biological Sciences will be held immediately after the Workshop.
Students from the ASEAN region and Australia will be participating in this Congress.
All participants of the Workshop are encouraged to submit papers for presentation at
Please submit the following for consideration:
(1) complete CV, list of publications, and a copy of your best recent publication;
(2) a one-page essay on how this Workshop will benefit you professionally;
(3) a confidential recommendation faxed directly to us by an academic advisor,
(4) abstract of your paper for presentation at the Workshop.
Ensure that your complete application reaches the following by April 18, 1998.
Assoc Prof C H Tan Fax: (65) 779 2486.
Department of Biological Sciences
National University of Singapore
10 Kent Ridge Crescent
(1) Only complete applications submitted by FAX will be considered.
(2) Applications submitted to my e-mail will be automatically disqualified, and
so will be late applications.
This advertisement has also placed on the newsgroup: sci.edu; bionet.announce; bionet.biology;