bovine mammary gland cells

Stephen Knight stigh at med.unc.edu
Tue Apr 7 13:54:18 EST 1998

I have not cultured mammary cells but have done quite a bit of work with
primary cultures of uterine and cervical epithelium (porcine and human).
I would recommend R. Ian Freshney's book "Culture of Specialized Cells:
Culture of Epithelial Cells", 1992 Wiley-Liss, NY USA, ISBN
0-471-56102-9.  There is a specific chapter on the culture of human
mammary epithelial cells written by Joyce Talor-Papadimitriou and Martha
R. Stampfer which might be useful.  I would think much of the
information would apply to bovine cells, or at least give you a good
point to start from.  If you can't locate the book let me know.  Good
luck. Bear in mind that you might have a problem with Mycoplasma spp.
contamination which could be a factor in extended culture.Yihua Han