Feedback / Ideas

Nancy Amin amin at student.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Apr 12 23:28:30 EST 1998

I'm not sure I understand your 1st idea but I am intrigued.  As far as I
can tell, you want to selectively kill cells with abnormal expression of
amino acids with a virus targetted to those specific cells?

> Now, the question.  Is it possible to take a regulator for an amino
> acid biosynthesis gene, which would be either activated or suppressed

wild type or mutant?

> in the elevated levels of this amino acid, and splice it to the front
> of a lytic virus, with some sort of deficiency (to keep it out of the

do you mean that if your cancer cell expresses high levels of a particular
amino acid, lets just say because an activator is expressed higher than
normal.  Thus, you want the virus to replicate only under that
condition by splicing a sequence of DNA that is acted on by the activator
to induce the lytic pathway?

If so, I'm willing to bet that people are working on similar ideas.
But I'm sure you know that its not just that simple :)

> Cancer research seems to be focussed on immunolgy, (layman's view, i

No not really.

> I have been thinking about this for the last 4 years.  Please forgive
> the fact that i have forgotten the corect nomenclature.
> In the case of gene deficiency / damage diseases ( eg.  Child
> Retino-blastoma and Enphysema), could a vector be generated to encode
> the missing / defective gene, and injected to the sufferer?  I know
> there would be a HUGE problem with mosaic-ism, where some cells would
> be infected and others not, but could this approach be usefull?

Again, not so simple - However it is being done, but with mice at the
moment.