biotin labld probe for chick OK?

Richard Vernell rjv at riker.neoucom.edu
Fri Apr 17 10:37:39 EST 1998

I am a grad student planning to start some nonradioavtive in situ
hybridization experiments in chick embryo sections and whole mounts.  As i
decide between biotin and Dig. label i am wondering if there will be a high
background with biotin due to avidin that might be present in the tissue.
I know that it is in the egg white, but is that the only place?  We already
have reagents for biotin labeled riboprobes and if I can use them that
would be great.  For detection I will use alkaline phosphatase to generate a
fluorescent precipitate.

If you have experience with chick embryo in situ, or would like to add
your two cents on the biotin -vs- digoxigenin question in general that
would be great.  Thank you for your time.

rich