health class/4th grade

Bryan L. Ford fordb at bcc.orst.edu
Fri Apr 17 22:41:30 EST 1998

Nielin at mailcity.com wrote:

> In article <3535152D.6441E10C at nb.net>,
>   font6 at NB.NET (david fontana) wrote:
> >
> > I need to find the number of cells in the human body.  Do you have the
> > answer?  Thanks for your help.
> >

> about one billion.My name is Nielin,from china.

David:

You should take notice that "one billion" in China, and most of the rest
of the world, is one million millions or 1,000,000,000,000. But in the
U.S. it is one thousand millions, or 1,000,000,000. A U.S. billion is
far too low a number. For example there are many U.S. billions of cells
in just the human brain alone. For U.S. use Nielin's answer should be
converted or translated into the U.S. number system as about "one U.S.
trillion", that is 1,000,000,000,000.

By the way, scientists worldwide usually avoid this problem by writing
such large numbers in another shorthand way. This way we don't have to
worry about different meanings for a "billion", or different meanings
for "trillion" and so on.

I hope this helps you a bit more.

--Bryan