problem with terminology

taguebw at REMOVEwfu.edu taguebw at REMOVEwfu.edu
Tue Apr 21 14:10:49 EST 1998

In article <6him8r$30ek$1 at www.univie.ac.at>, "Dietmar Winkler"
<dwinkler at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Does anybody know the meaning of the term "ALU REPEAT SEQUENCE" ?
>
> All help on this would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dietmar.

The short answer:

The alu repeats are one family of highly repetitive sequences (SINES:
short interspersed elements) in mammals. They were first identified as
having the recognition site for the restriction enzyme Alu I. The repeated
sequence is a few hundred bps long and they number in the 100,000's per
haploid genome. They appear to be derived from reverse transcription of an
RNA polymerase III-transcribed RNA (7SL RNA). The function of these
repeats are not known.

My 2 electrons,

Brian

--