brain cells

mark hill m.hill at
Tue Aug 4 18:16:07 EST 1998

Neurons are post-mitotic. That is they have withdrawn from the cell cycle
and no longer proliferate.

JJ Miranda wrote:

> Hi all,
> FOrgive the ignorance of this question...  I'm a chemist...
> I was wondering, does anyone know the cellular or molecular explanation
> as to why brain cells don't grow back when killed?  Also, I know thatsome
> brain cells grow back but not others...  What distinguishes between these
> two groups?
> Sincere regards,
> JJ Miranda

Dr Mark A. Hill                               Email: m.hill at
Cell Biology Lab                                  Ph: 612 9385 2477
School of Anatomy                             Fax: 612 9313 6252
University of NSW  2052