endothelial & sylgard

Tom Maynard maynard at oregon.uoregon.edu
Wed Aug 5 11:30:08 EST 1998

In article <3.0.5.16.19980805081308.0f47fb14 at email.uc.edu>, holtzcjd at EMAIL.UC.EDU (David Holtzclaw) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone might have a protocol for growing endothelial
>cells on sylgard (silicone)? Of particular interested is what adhesive
>additive (i.e. fibronectin, gelatin, etc) would work best.

Grow them on sylgard?  Good luck!

We grow cells (neural crest) in sylgard wells-- the walls of the well are
sylgard, but the bottom is a tissue culture plastic dish.  When you're
ready to look at the cells, you fix and stain them in the wells, then peel
the well of the dish for cover-slipping.

We prepare sheets of sylgard by polymerizing it in petri dishes, then use
a punch to make wells of various sizes.  The wells are then cut with a
razor blade, and sterilized by several washes in ethanol.  (I've heard
that they can be autoclaved in water, but I've never done that...)

If you're really planning on growing cells *on* sylgard, I'd love to know
how it works.

--Tom Maynard
  Lab Slave