Background staining due to epitopes to Keyhole limpet hemocyanin

pleuronectes at my-dejanews.com pleuronectes at my-dejanews.com
Thu Aug 13 08:29:37 EST 1998

I have been using a keyhole limpet hemocyanin conjugate to make antibodies to
winterflounder type I serum anitfreeze protein.  We have been raising the
antibodies in Rabbits and using the antisera for both immunohistochemistry
and protein dotplots. The antisera has also been used for western plots.
Frequently we see contradicting results between western blotting and
immunohisto.  I am wondering if some of the results could be due to
background staining of epitopes to KLH. Insitu hybridization will sometimes
backup the result and sometimes not?

Anybody out there have similar problems?  Any comments will be appreciated, I
am trying to finish up my thesis experiments.

Thanks