Telomeric Theory of Aging

Joseph J. Strout jstrout at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 19 15:30:05 EST 1998

In article <35daf0c8.354067837 at nntp.ix.netcom.com>, ufotruth at ix.netcom.com
wrote:

>I have a question. I have heard lately of the creation of telomerase
>"Knock Out Mice" that have the gene for telomerase removed from them.
>Do you think it is possible that mice could be created or genetically
>engineered that had the telomerase gene in every single one of their
>cells?

As I understand it, this isn't necessary -- mice die of natural causes way
before there telomeres have shortened significantly.  So the experiment you
describe has basically already been done, by Nature.

(I'm no expert and can't site a source, so somebody please correct me if
I'm wrong.)

|    Joseph J. Strout           Department of Neuroscience, UCSD   |
|    jstrout at ucsd.edu           http://www.strout.net              |