Telomeric Theory of Aging

Excelife excelife at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 19 10:18:20 EST 1998

In article <hazelNOSPAM-ya02408000R1908980800100001 at news.springnet1.com>,
hazelNOSPAM at springnet1.com says...

>what happens if you ligate a huge telmore onto a DNA, like some
>ridiculously long sequence?  would the DNA be able to divide for an
>excessive amount of time?

Yes!  That's similar to having active telomerase in the cell which basically
makes the cell immortal.

>what happens if you ligate  a telomere from one species onto DNA from
>another species?  does the new telomere still help the cell live longer?

Human chromosomes terminate in a series of T2AG3 repeats, which, together
with associated proteins, are essential for chromosome stability.  Most
mammalian cells appear to have this same sequence, however, saccharomyces,
have telomeres with TG1-3 repeats.  Interchanging these two types of
telomeres would not be feasible but for most species their telomeres are
biologically identical, varying only in length.

>hazel
>
>p.s. why is this message cross-posted to  alt.binaries.nospam.panties?  now
>there's a difficult scientific problem.

Who knows?  Maybe that groups interested in our research as well;-)

Thomas Mahoney, Pres.
Lifeline Laboratories, Inc.
http://home.earthlink.net/~excelife/index.html