Telomeric Theory of Aging

ufotruth at ix.netcom.com ufotruth at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 19 19:35:54 EST 1998

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:30:05 -0700, jstrout at ucsd.edu (Joseph J.
Strout) wrote:

>As I understand it, this isn't necessary -- mice die of natural causes way
>before there telomeres have shortened significantly.  So the experiment you
>describe has basically already been done, by Nature.

Of course. Many humans die of things other than age related dieseases
before they even turn 40 years old or become "middle" aged but also
many die because of directly age related diseases. Perhaps turning on
telomerase would not make a difference in extending the life span of
mice that die of non-aging related dieseases but it might help the
rest, who would grow older and get age related dieseases, live longer.

Immortalizing all the cells in a mouse would be a very interesting
thing to do. In my opinion, and I might be wrong, here are some of the
reasons:

1) It could help determine whether immortalizing all the cells, at
least all the dividing cells, in an organism would cause a higher rate
of cancer or tumors.

2) It could help determine if immortalizing all the cells in a mouse
would extend the life span of mice who were resistant to non-aging
related dieseases. You see even though telomerase therapy would
probably not help those who die from non-aging related dieseases it
might help those that do die of aging relating dieseases.

3) It would help determine if immortalizing all the dividing cells in
an organism would help non-dividing cells live longer because they
would not accumilate as much damage from being poisoned by the aging
and dying dividing cells.

 ----

There are probably other ways in which immortalizing all the cells of
a mouse would provide data as well. In my opinion if it can be done it
should be done. There is just too much information we could learn NOT
to do this experiment.

>(I'm no expert and can't site a source, so somebody please correct me if
>I'm wrong.)

I am not an expert either. You might be wrong, I might be wrong, or we
both might be wrong. But do you know if it is even POSSIBLE for such a
mouse to be created?

Take care and have a great day.

Best Regards,
William