Telomeric Theory of Aging

Austin Seo (Hae Jin) haejin at netinfo.ubc.ca
Tue Aug 18 21:13:32 EST 1998

The other issue about "life-extension" is that cells must die over the course
of development.

So...if you do a telomerase knock-in, there is a distinct possibility that you
will screw up the development of an organism. A good example is the caspase
knockout mice (though unrelated mechanistically as far as we know): these
apoptotic enzymes are required for the normal development of brain (among other
things) and are embryonic lethal.

--

Austin Seo (Hae Jin)

Graduate Programme in Neuroscience
Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics
e-mail: haejin at netinfo.ubc.ca