Simultaneous in situ hybridization of both RNA and DNA. Is it possilbe?

Michael Shapira michas at LEONARDO.LS.HUJI.AC.IL
Sun Aug 30 08:00:13 EST 1998

We are using routinely 5'-biotinylated, 50-mer 2'-O-methylated RNA
probes specific for acetylcholinesterase for in situ hybridization on
thin tissue sections. We would like to see on the same preparation the
gene encoding the enzyme (located within the nuclei of course in two
copies for each cell). Is it possible? Does anyone know of an article
where such a protocol is described? We have a cosmid containing the gene
plus 20 Kb of its upstream sequence that I think may serve as a probe
(maybe as in FISH, although the exon sequences would have to be
removed).
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Michael.