Current Research into Telomeres

ufotruth at ix.netcom.com ufotruth at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 31 16:08:45 EST 1998

Thomas Mahoney,

How are you doing? I am doing ok but have been pretty busy. My new job
takes a lot of my time and energy.

Thanks for posting this informative post. It is very informative and
interesting. I have a couple of questions and comments I would like to
make.

(I will try to keep my questions and comments short and simple so I
will not appear to be rambling or offend anyone.)

1) In your post it was stated:

 "Age related genetic expression, especially in senescent cells, is
one of the keys to developing methods to intervene in the aging
process. Geron is collaborating with the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory,
Stanford University, and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Institute for Cancer
Research, to identify those genes that may be involved in age-related
diseases.  Their "Enhanced Differential Display" and "Subtractive
Differential Display" technologies allows the researchers to identify
particular genes and their products and may allow for the development
of methods to intervene in these processes.  Their current efforts are
directed toward skin aging, atherosclerosis and macular degeneration."

My question is: Why is it so important to isolate every single gene in
senecent cells when just immortalizing every cell in the human body
would prevent any cells from becoming senecent, at least not from
telomere shortening, which would mean none of these genes would be
expressed?

2) In your post it was stated that GERON was working on creating
immortal stem cells to create non dividing cells. Like, for example,
if someone's neurons were dying these stem cells could go in, divide,
and make some new ones.

But I have a question. If STEM cells started dividing and replacing
injured or dead neurons would memories disapear? Or would the new ones
take the place of the old ones in a way that the memories would be
retained?

3) When is someone going to actually try an experiment to rejuvinate
an actual organism, or just one type of organ, in an organism? It
seems like a company like GERON could easily take an old mouse,
hamster, or creature with old skin, for example, insert the telomerase
gene, and just see what occurs.

Or is it that this is already taking place but everyone is very quite
about it.....

If something like that did occur I am sure the stinking feds would
stick their fat noses into it and site "national security" or some
other nonsence.

Take care and have a great day.

Best Regards,
William