Hamburger-Hamilton stages

Leslie Gartner lgartner at umaryland.edu
Fri Dec 11 22:07:51 EST 1998

The Hamburger - Hamilton stages of chick development refer to the initial
comprehensive work done by Victor Hamburger and H.L.
Hamilton. Their original paper appeared in 1951 in the Journal of
Morphology, Volume 88, Pages 49-92.

There are several books on the subject of chick development, based on
their original work. The easiest to read is by Bradley Patten called the
Early Embryology of the Chick (McGraw Hill, 1957) and a gorgeous book by
Alfred E. Huettner: The Comparative Anatomy of the Vertebrates (The
McMillan Co., 1949).

I hope this helps.

Les Gartner
Anatomy