clostridium.

John jvh100 at york.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 22:49:07 EST 1998

Ok all, I have a question here. I have to do an essay On clostridium sp. I
have looked at various documentation which states that they are soil borne
bacteria and are anaerobic. they are also common and some sp ie botulina
have different types of toxins (7 in all). well my question is this..
If the botulina ( for eg) is anaerobic, how does it proliferate in an
aerobic medium (soil). I understand that the spores are encouraged to
germinate if heated and this kills the bacterium and denatures the toxin.
but how do the bacteria grow in the first place if oxygen is present in
the soil? i find this confusing as it seems contradictory. I read also
that different strains of the  bacteria inhabit the guts of different
hosts, is it a case of the bacteria living in the host and only the spores
which survive in the soil or does the bacterium also survive in the soil?
which is correct? if the bacteria live in the soil, then they would surely
produce spores, why don't we get wound botulism every time we cut our
selves and the wound turns septic? why doesn't gangrene set in every time?
these might sound like daft questions but if the toxin is able to bind to
the neuroreceptors then that means they get past the bodies immune system
so why doesn't the above happen?
can anyone enlighten me?
			John.

Es kommt auf die weissheit an! Wer verstanden hat berechne die nummer des
wilden tieres weil die ein mensch ist und seine zahl ist 666.
Beware.... it's coming to get *you*!