delta-pI of single phosphate incorp into peptide?

Darren Tyson tysondr.nospam at
Thu Feb 26 16:09:26 EST 1998

I'm trying to analyze phosphorylated proteolytic peptide fragments by
isoelectric focusing.  My question is what would the change in pI be
if a single phosphate was incorporated?  Would it depend on the rest
of the peptide sequence?  (I can't remember how pI is calculated.)

Mainly I want to be able to distinguish among one, two, three, etc.
phosphates incorporated into a single peptide fragment.  Is this
possible by IEF or do I need to sequence radiolabeled fragments
looking for 32P incorporation onto individual residues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Darren Tyson, Ph.D. Candidate
Cell and Molecular Biology Program
Saint Louis University, St. Louis, MO