Used Laboratory Equipment

Dr. Jim Campanella jjc3 at LEHIGH.EDU
Tue Jan 6 09:17:29 EST 1998

Dear PI's,

I am sure that many of you, besides myself, have faced a reduction
in funding of late, as well as rising costs in lab equipment. I
am curious whether anybody thinks that an idea I have has any merit.
I am willing to set up a World Wide Web site as a clearing house for
used lab equipment. I have often wondered whether other labs have old
or outmoded equipment (like balances, pH meters, etc.) which they
would be willing to part with at minimal prices. I have seen
commercial Web sites where newer-- and more expensive-- used equipment
is sold, but I have never seen a site which is nonprofit, run by
biologists, and simply acts as "classified ads" where scientists can
post their requests for equipment or advertisements to sell equipment.

I am willing to put together such a Web site as a service to the
biology community. The new site would charge no fees for posting
and would be accessible to biologists from around the world.

I am writing to several different biology mailing lists to
get an idea of how much interest there would be in such a Web
site-- or even to find out if such a site already exists and I
simply do not know about it.

I thank you all for your help.

Dr. Jim Campanella
Lehigh University