Lab Safety-HELP

Mr. Joseph F. Merola VPHM54B at prodigy.com
Wed Jan 14 23:00:40 EST 1998

Hi!  I am an undergraduate biology student and I have just started
working as a lab assistant in a research lab.  I am extremely
interested in research and science, but I wasn't expecting to be around

so many dangerous substances.  I was hoping a researcher could put in
to perspective for me the risks of working with such substances as
Ethidium Bromide and certain radioactive amino acids/nucleotides,
etc...  I am also working with live animals, specifically mice, and am
concerned about that as well.  I'm sure that the lab can't be as
dangerous as it appears to me now, but it seems that exposure to many
of these things is inevitable and I'd like to know how researchers feel

and what precautions are taken to ensure safety.  After all these are
the people of the science community and I'm sure they've considered the

risks of their surroundings...  Does anyone have stats or can anyone
e-mail me with info?  Thank you so very much!!!

PLEAE E-MAIL!!!!  I'll post any responses for others!

Joe in NY
(VPHM54B at Prodigy.com)