Liquid-liquid extraction

Stephen W. Mamber smamber at usccmail.bms.com
Tue Jul 7 17:12:43 EST 1998

Liquid-liquid extraction is no big deal.  I would put one part plasma
and one part ethyl acetate in a large glass test-tube or small flask,
capped with a solvent-resistant (like polypropylene) cap and shaken or
vortexed for say 10-30 minutes.  Then, centrifuge the resulting emulsion
and remove the ethyl acetate layer (which presumably contains your
compound of interest), and dry it down under a gentle stream of nitrogen
gas.  Then you can do your chromatography, etc. on that sample.

SWM