A question about cleavage

Patrick F.H. Lai pfhlai at LOOKSMART.COM
Wed Jul 29 04:08:50 EST 1998

---- Begin Original Message ----
I've read that most hormones are synthesized as prohormones, or
sometimes as preprohormones. Let's take insulin as an example.

It is synthesized as a preprohormone by polirribosomes attached
to the RER and then incorporated to the RER because a an ~24-
aminoacid sequence is recognized on it's N-terminal. In the RER, it
loses this signal and then is sent to the Golgi complex. There it's
packed for exportation along with some enzymes. During its stay
in the exportation vesicle, the enzymes cleave the polypeptide
chain into insulin and peptide C.

My question is how is this cleavage done? I mean, are there
specific enzymes for each prehormone, or are there signals in the
aminoacid sequence that indicate where the splitting should occur?

I'm thinking now of POMC. This protein is cleft in different ways
depending on the cell where the cleavage is performed. I presume
this must be done by different specific enzymes, because the
polypeptide is the same in all the cells. Is my assumption correct?
Does it apply to the other cases?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremias Galletti
Calle 13 Nro. 1442
(6360) General Pico, La Pampa
Argentina
Tel: 54-302-35583
E-mail: jeremias at teletel.com.ar
---- End Original Message ----

Dear Jeremias,

Just off my head without checking, yes, there are specific enzymes
that cleave specific prohormones.
Try ACEs (Angiotensin Converting Enzymes) and ECEs (Endothelin
Converting Enzymes).
(maybe renin is processed similarly, but I forgot.)
For ACEs and ECEs, the regulation of the enzyme activity provides
another level of complexity to the regulation of hormone level.
Cool, eh !  :-)

And besides POMC, I think the glucagon gene can be similarly expressed
and processed into several hormones / autocoids.

IMHO, protein-cleaving enzymes don't really care what they digest.
If the substrate sequence is present, they cut, cut, cut......
That's how we can release useful peptides from engineered fusion
proteins using various commercially available kits, right ?

So, I suppose, substrate amino acid sequences may conceivably be
present in peptides other than the hormone we now know as THE
substrate.

And, there may be some common paradigms in peptide hormone synthesis,
but I don't think the various systems have been fully studied for us
to appreciate them fully.... at least not yet.

Hope this is useful info.   :-)

Patrick F.H. Lai  < PFHLai at looksmart.com >
Graduate Student
University of Toronto