Do you know of any free program to generate molecular drawings?

s-thapa at uchicago.edu s-thapa at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 3 00:44:18 EST 1998

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 23:35:28 -0300, "Jeremias Galletti"
<Use-Author-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:

>I'm considering the idea of creating a Web site related to Cell and
>Molecular Biology, intended as an introductory course. I need
>drawings of organic molecules. Do you know of any program that can
>generate them, preferably freeware or in the public domain?
>I'm a student, so I can't afford much. Or may be you know of a site
>that collects info about this type of programs? What about a library
>of such images available for free?

	There's a program by ISIS (www.isis.com I think) that is free
for academic use that lets you draw structures and lets you view
them using rasmol.  You can also try VMD which is for unix/linux
machines that does a nice job.  VMD also has an interface to
a free molecular dynamics package NAMD that may be useful
for getting movies or clips.