non-toxic fluorescent dye

Lilith europa at cems.umn.edu
Thu Jun 4 23:22:21 EST 1998

Jack Daniel Borgeson wrote:

> I am looking for a non-toxic fluorescent dye which excites around 488 nm
> and emits above 500nm.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

What would you need it for?  And by non-toxic, do you mean to the cell?
There are a lot of viable stains - for example, Rhodamine 123 stains
mitochondria of live cells, and its excitation is about 485nm; emission is
around 520, I think (I use 510 long pass and 530DF30 with the confocal
microscope).

You can also look into the homepage of Molecular Dynamics.  They have a
pretty extensive line of dyes.  I talked to their tech support, and they're
pretty helpful, too.

Anna