Announce: HTS Automation Meeting [Response to cloning issue...]

Nunes, Trevor (EXCHANGE:CAR:9S17) tnunes at
Fri Nov 20 11:31:59 EST 1998

   I develop software for an ATM switch so my comments may be
   not be suitable here, but I felt a need to reply. Secondly
   the following statement is my own personal view point and not
   that of my employer. It's slightly off topic, sorry!

   I have to disagree with some points at the end
   made on the cloning issue, forgive me if I've missed
   the mark!:

 The concerns over the use of animal/human tissue are merely
amplifications of problems inherent to human culture. It's true that
the physical distinction of a 'true' human cell and a 'composed' cell
gives a voice to animosity; This is merely a symptom of hierarchy and
social grouping that unforutanately exists in every culture.

The true question therefore is:

Should we pursue something that exposes our human weaknesses?
I think we should in this case, as the benefits of organ transplant
that does not involve the death of a sentient being is one good thing.
The exposure to questions on our own definition of a 'valid' physical
( No organ transplants, must be human etc. ) are I think an
insult to those people who already have engineered components
e.g. heart valves, pacemaker etc.

These additions/replacements are not experienced in normal human
growth, but they facilitate ( augment ) a being to a more productive
and tolerable existance... I welcome the use of cultured organs as
means of transplantation as it does not cause harm to a creature which
already has cognitive existance. I know this is tiresome debate but I
think in this instance it's more clear that the technology is a
beneficial and morally acceptable form of life preservation. Certainly
more so than organs
grown in animals...

Personally if you fella's could engineer an optic nerve out of a cell in
Rat's Anus I could have sight back in my right eye. Origin and makeup

We must stand togethor discuss with objective opinion all
options and embrace technologies that supress suffering...

Trevor Nunes