Announce: HTS Automation Meeting [Response to cloning issue...]

Nunes, Trevor (EXCHANGE:CAR:9S17) tnunes at americasm01.nt.com
Fri Nov 20 11:31:59 EST 1998

DISCLAIMER:
   I develop software for an ATM switch so my comments may be
   not be suitable here, but I felt a need to reply. Secondly
   the following statement is my own personal view point and not
   that of my employer. It's slightly off topic, sorry!

   I have to disagree with some points at the end
   made on the cloning issue, forgive me if I've missed
   the mark!:

Hi,

 The concerns over the use of animal/human tissue are merely
amplifications of problems inherent to human culture. It's true that
the physical distinction of a 'true' human cell and a 'composed' cell
gives a voice to animosity; This is merely a symptom of hierarchy and
social grouping that unforutanately exists in every culture.

The true question therefore is:

Should we pursue something that exposes our human weaknesses?
I think we should in this case, as the benefits of organ transplant
that does not involve the death of a sentient being is one good thing.
The exposure to questions on our own definition of a 'valid' physical
make-up
( No organ transplants, must be human etc. ) are I think an
insult to those people who already have engineered components
e.g. heart valves, pacemaker etc.

These additions/replacements are not experienced in normal human
growth, but they facilitate ( augment ) a being to a more productive
and tolerable existance... I welcome the use of cultured organs as
means of transplantation as it does not cause harm to a creature which
already has cognitive existance. I know this is tiresome debate but I
think in this instance it's more clear that the technology is a
beneficial and morally acceptable form of life preservation. Certainly
more so than organs
grown in animals...

Personally if you fella's could engineer an optic nerve out of a cell in
Rat's Anus I could have sight back in my right eye. Origin and makeup
are
malleable!

We must stand togethor discuss with objective opinion all
options and embrace technologies that supress suffering...

thanks,

Trevor Nunes