Dedifferentiation

Dr. S. Shapiro toukie at zui.unizh.ch
Thu Oct 15 07:08:46 EST 1998

Dear Colleagues;

	I am seeking information about a mammalian (human?) tissue
that is capable of de-differentiating and then giving rise to a new dif-
ferentiated tissue.  The only thing I can think of offhand is the liver.
It is my understanding that the liver consists of a large variety of highly
differentiated cells.  Yet, when as much as 90% of the liver is surgically
removed, the remaining 10% of this organ can regenerate the entire
liver in a relatively short time.  Does this mean that some of the remain-
ing liver cells can de-differentiate into pluripotent or totipotent cells and
subsequently re-differentiate into the desired liver cells during the course
of liver regeneration?  I am not a medical doctor or mammalian physiologist/
pathologist, and haven't studied these things for some 30 years, so perhaps
someone who is a little more up to date can advise me on this?  Please
give references where available.

	Also, I would like information about other(?) mammalian tissues
that are capable of de-differentiating and then re-differentiating.  Of course,
references are crucial.

	Responders are kindly requested to contact me directly at

		toukie at zui.unizh.ch

Thanks in advance to all responders,

S.  Shapiro
toukie at zui.unizh.ch