Nuclear localisation

Martin Offterdinger a8803349.nospam at unet.univie.ac.at
Mon Oct 19 08:44:13 EST 1998

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 12:14:52 +0100, A Al-dukhyil
<MBQ96AA at sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>I've got a fusion of Green fluorescent protein to Nuclear localisation
>sequence in a vector. When I transfect this vector to mammalian cell
>lines I get a mixtures of transfected cells, some of them have GFP in the
>nucleos and the others have GFP in the whole cell. Is it normal to get a
>result like this?
>Thanking in anticipation
It is completely normal if you observe whole cell staining in a
proportion of your cells; these may be mitotic cells which have lost
the nuclear envelope during mitosis and therefore also loose nuclear
proteins into the cytoplasm; this may be an explanation for what you
observe (and no reason at all to worry!)
martin
Martin Offterdinger
Internal Med.I,Dept. Oncology
University of Vienna