Identify Author?

T.D. Laing tdlaing at
Tue Sep 1 09:38:56 EST 1998

In article <35EB325A.54FA at>, tmatth at wrote:

> T.D. Laing wrote:
> > Senescent cells appear to express more matrix metalloproteinases than
> > younger cells, and respond differently to TGF-beta (from Medline):
> I just want to note that your use of the term "senescent" here is not
> "technically" correct. The technical meaing of "senescent cells" is
> cells which are no longer able to divide. The abstract which you posted
> is most interesting, but it contrasts younger cells with older cells
> which are not necessarily senescent.

Yes, of course.  My mistake, and thank you for correcting it.  The aging
cells used in that study were at a very late passage for that cell line,
almost at the point of senescence, which I think is why I confused the

T.D. Laing
tdlaing at

Remove "nospam" from my e-mail address in the header to reply.

All the standard disclaimers apply.