Identify Author?

Robert Ames gnome at istar.ca
Mon Sep 7 03:35:04 EST 1998

In article <6safgs$fvk$1 at birch.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
excelife at earthlink.net (Excelife) wrote:

>It's an excellent article and I would like to credit its creator.

[paper by J Clark]

>Senescence, Telomeres and Aging

>Testosterone and prostate telomerase  Feb 1998
>Effectively regenerating a younger prostate.  From a purely aging
>interest, it testosterone a telomerase suppresser?  It would be
>interesting to assay non-sex tissue for telomerase during this type
>of experiment.

Testosterone suppresses IL-6.  IL-6 acts on stem cells, increasing
telomerase.  It also is involved in tissue degradation by its action
on cathepsins.

Straub RH, Konecna L, et al. 1998 Jun. Serum dehydroepiandrosterone
(DHEA) and DHEA sulfate are negatively correlated with serum
interleukin-6 (IL-6), and DHEA inhibits IL-6 secretion from
mononuclear cells in man in vitro: possible link between
endocrinosenescence and immunosenescence. J Clin Endocrinol Metab.
83(6):2012-2017.

 "Immunosenescence may be directly related to endocrinosenescence,
  which, in turn, may be a significant cofactor for the
  manifestation of inflammatory and age-related diseases."

Spencer NF, Daynes RA. 1997 May. IL-12 directly stimulates
expression of IL-10 by CD5+ B cells and IL-6 by both CD5+ and CD5- B
cells: possible involvement in age-associated cytokine
dysregulation. Int Immunol. 9(5):745-754.

 "Treatment of aged animals with low doses of dehydroepiandrosterone
  sulfate, previously established to be immunocorrective in
  immunosenescent animals, reduced the age-associated alterations in
  IL-12 mRNA and protein expression. The mechanisms responsible for
  the abnormal constitutive expression of inflammatory cytokines by
  the macrophages of aged animals may play an important afferent
  role in establishing the immunosenescent phenotype."