Telomeric Theory - Those Damn Mice

Tom Matthews tmatth at netcom.ca
Thu Sep 10 21:48:31 EST 1998

Excelife wrote:

> In article <35F846D8.6037 at netcom.ca>, tmatth at netcom.ca says...
> >
> >Excelife wrote:
> >
> >> You are right, loss of telomeric length is not tumorigenic.  The bypassing
> >> of the senescent signal related to telomeric loss is more like a "disease"
> >> process.  It is encompassed by the telomeric theory, (see III. Research
> >> Findings To Date, B. Telomeres, Telomerase and Cancer), and methods to
> >> avoid the bypass of senescence are important for survival although not
> >> directly related to aging.
> >
> >Tom, I hope that this paragraph does not presage a stance whereby the
> >"definition" of aging is loss of telomere length, and all other
> >degradative changes which occur over time and cause most deaths are now
> >"diseases". :-)
>
> I hadn't thought about it that way but now that you bring it up.......
>
> Disease - A condition in which bodily health is impaird. Websters 6th ed.
>
> Nah.. this would include aging as a result of telomeric loss as well! But it
> was a good try!  Keep up the good work, I'll make a "telomerist" out of you
> yet:-)

Tom, I hate to have to say it, but the fact that you took my remark as a
"suggestion" rather than the negative criticism that was intended,
really does show that you are a "true believer" on the subject of the
Telomeric Theory of Aging, in spite of the fact the you argue about it
very rationally.

Even though I might come to agree that the Telomeric Theory of Aging is
of *primary* importance to current human organismal aging, if the
evidence shows that to be true, I will never become a "telomerist". I
practice mild calorie restriction, but am not a devoted follower of
Walford or "calorie restrictionist" as the "answer" to aging. I take
copious amounts of antioxidants, practice oral hormone replacement, and
have taken whatever other lifestyle changes it is possible to do, for
the purpose of staving off my death, but I have no great faith that this
are reducing my *essential* rate of aging and will give me any greatly
lengthened lifespan beyond the species maximum. And I wish that you
could stop being a "telomerist" too. You have too good a mind to have it
wasted by "true believerism".

--Tom
Tom Matthews

The LIFE EXTENSION FOUNDATION - http://www.lef.org - 800-544-4440