Bicistronic vector

inserm-u295 at UNIV-ROUEN.FR inserm-u295 at UNIV-ROUEN.FR
Thu Sep 17 06:25:40 EST 1998

I would like to obtain a  stable clone for 2 chains of a protein, but I have
some problems.
Bernard Murray suggest me, with other possibilities, to use bicistronic vector.

Do you think that it is possible to obtain A and B chains with the following
vector (if it is possible for me to construct it !) :

....---pCMV--A chain--IVS--IRES--B chain--pA---....---pSV40--NeoR--pA--...

Indeed, this construction (in pCDNA3) results of the insertion of a big
insert into the MCS of this vector.  Do you think that this construction
could be functionnal  ?  I'm not expert in this problem, but I wonder if it
is possible to construct this vector because the bicistronic vectors
generally encode for one protein and a resistance, and not two proteins and
a resistance.

Thank you in advance for your help.
P.S. : Thank you very much Bernard for your very interesting answer !!

Sebastien Paris

INSERM U295
Faculte de Medecine de Rouen
22 Boulevard Gambetta