Phospholipase D information request.

Martin Houle martin.Houle at drs.crchul.ulaval.ca
Thu Sep 17 15:44:46 EST 1998

In article <35F60620.33363CFC at hotmail.com>, limbo46 at HOTMAIL.COM (Ken Smith)
wrote:

> Dear Sir,
> My name is Ken Smith and currently i'm studying biochemistry as a minor
> towards my science degree. For this semester i was given an assignment
> to design a poster which would be used to inform my peers about the role
> of phospholipase D. After spending much of my time surfing the web, i
> failed to find the necessary information i need. Could you please direct
> me to journals or web-site which contain basic information of
> phospholipase D. I'm especially interested in a molecular picture of
> phospholipase D.
> Any help you could give me would be very helpful and appreciated.
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Ken Smith
>
> limbo46 at hotmail.com

Hi Ken,

I suggest you do a medline search at pubmed (NCBI)
You could pull out a number of papers of interest from there.
As for a molecular picture of PLD, there has been no crystallographic study
of a mammalian PLD as of yet. There are a number of review articles on PLD
which could help you. In particular look for papers by Paul Sternweis,
Michael Frohman or Andrew Morris.
As to the roles of phospholipase D, I can give you a quick summary:

PLD hydrolyses phosphatidylcholine (there are reports of a
phosphatidylethanolamine hydrolysing PLD too ) to choline and phosphatidic
acid.

Phosphatidic acid itself as well as phosphatidic acid derived
diacylglycerol and lyso-phosphatidic acid are all second messengers and can
activate a number of downstream components including protein kinase C.
lyso-phosphatidic acid can also interact with specific receptors on the
cell surface and has mitogenic activities.

In neutrophils, PLD has been linked to superoxide production and granular
secretion. Furthermore, recently a role for PLD in vesicular traffic has
also been proposed. Lastly, there are reports that PLD may be implicated in
cell senescence.

Feel free to contact me on this subject.

By the way, I am doing a Ph.D. on the regulation of mammalian phopholipase
D in neutrophils and osteoblasts.

--
Martin Houle M.Sc.

Centre de Recherche en Rhumatologie et Immunologie,
Centre de Recherche du CHUL
CHUQ pavillon CHUL
Room t1-49
2705 Bd. Laurier, Ste-Foy,