Antiaging Research Priorities [was Re: Major Criticisms of

Nelson Navarro nelsonn at epix.net
Fri Sep 18 21:25:43 EST 1998

Brian Manning Delaney wrote:

> Nelson Navarro wrote:
> >
> > David Lloyd-Jones wrote:
> > >
> > > On calorie restriction:
> > >
> > > I think it is hilarious, and very American, that one
> > > of the Toms (TomLEF?) suggested studying CR so that
> > > its essence could be discovered and then perhaps
> > > injected into or fed to the population at large. Why
> > > not just restrict calories?
> > >

> > Hilarious?
> > That's like saying, let's cut
> > auto accident death rates by eliminating
> > automobiles; while he's saying, let's find out
> > how car crashes kill people and add safety
> > devices like seatbelts.
>
> One of the first things you learn in sophistry school is how
> to argue by means of analogies. (At least that's what I
> learned. :)
>
> Seriously, your analogy is well-taken, but it's too extreme.
> A more accurate one would be that it's like saying: Let's
> drive more much slowly, accept the frustration of being late
> more often, accept the annoyance of being on the road more,
> etc., etc.

I'll agree with you that my analogy might be a little too extreme.

> I think David
> Lloyd-Jones is right to point out that it looks a little
> silly to put a lot of energy into finding a way to mimic CR
> through drugs.

Now there I have to disagree.
Very many scientific and engineering advancements occur by way of our
attempt to first copy, and then understand and improve upon some process
we observe in nature.
For example, (and I apologize if this is another extreme analogy), is it
better to chew on willow bark to relieve headache pain, or to ingest an
improved formula, acetyl-salicylic acid, in convenient tablet form?

Regards,
Nelson Navarro