Antiaging Research Priorities [was Re: Major Criticisms of

James james at nospam.com
Sat Sep 19 00:06:58 EST 1998

> What you're actually saying, then, is that anyone alive today at 120
> yrs. of age, must have got there strictly by way of a lifetime of severe
> calorie restriction; is that correct?

Maybe, maybe not.  Since we don't know how it works we don't know that there are
not a variety of ways to cause the same metabolic changes.  Maybe they ate a lot of
something that caused an effect similar to CR.  Maybe they were genetically
blessed.  Who knows...  In a complex system (such as the human body) there are
often multiple paths to the same outcome, as a result of intertwined pathways,
redundancy, etc.

> In aging research, just like any other scientific endeavor, doesn't it
> makes perfect sense to go after the low hanging fruit first? Especially
> since it appears that, in this case, discovering the mechanism
> underlying CR might shed light on the more fundamental processes at
> work, and might generate lots of money for further research.

If you consider CR research low-hanging fruit.  I do, but I don't think Tom does.