IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

erythrocyte shape description (was: Re: Erythrocyte

Sam Michaelson sam.michaelson at dsto.defence.gov.au.ANTISPAM
Wed Sep 23 18:21:01 EST 1998

geoffhatt at my-dejanews.com wrote:

>   Could anyone tell me the medical name for the shape of these blood
> cell
>   thanks Geoff

I have heard them being referred to as 'biconcave'.  Interestingly
enough, I once had a colleague try to describe a foam rubber
vibration-damping widget to me, without much success, until he said
"It's shaped like an erythrocyte", then I knew exactly what he was
talking about.

On the topic of
technically-accurate-but-obscure-and-relatively-unhelpful description,
is there a technically correct description for the shape of a kidney,
other than 'kidney shaped' ?

Sam Michaelson

More information about the Cellbiol mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net