Histology Fixing

Ken Hoekstra hoekstra at unixg.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 24 12:24:26 EST 1998

I'm relatively new to the world of routine fixatives and fixing
procedures. I've read some books on tissue techniques but still have a
few questions which I hope someone would be so kind as to offer advice
towards:

1. if you take tissue directly out of neutral-buffered formalin to the
cryostat for sectioning, how can you store the sections afterwards? Do
you have to wash in water before proceeding with staining?

2. if you use neutral-buffered formalin as your fixative, and section using
cryostat, do you need to dehydrate the tissue if you don't plan on
embedding it?

Thanks.

Ken