Antiaging Research Priorities [was Re: Major Criticisms of

Excelife excelife at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 26 02:31:32 EST 1998

In article <360C3E69.28C4 at epix.net>, nelsonn at epix.net says...

>I don't think anyone expressed or implied any notion that CR research
>would directly lead to the holy grail.
>
>The genesis of this discussion, I believe, was your solicitation for
>ideas and input regarding prioritization of anti-aging research, given
>the fact that resources are limited.

You are quite correct and I appreciate your bringing us back to that
discussion.

>I'll guess that you're at least at least 45 years old. Do you really
>think, given the time and money spent on cancer research, for example,
>that the fundamental cause of aging and an effective means to
>stop/reverse it will be discovered during the remainder of your natural
>lifetime, so that you can take advantage of it?

Your guess is, indeed very close.

In answer to your question, it is my opinion that a major causitive factor of
the aging process has already been described in the effects of telomeric
shortening.  I am posting a series on the the telomeric thory of aging that
describes much of the research in this area and the directions future
research might lead us. You can find some of the prior posts in deja.news and
the full series, including references, will be posted on Lifelines Web pages
in the near future.

>Why not first attempt to slow down the rate of aging by understanding
>how CR works? This would not only give everyone extra healthy years, and
>generate perhaps billions of dollars for research, but it would also most
>likely provide information helpful in solving the general problem.

This is a valid suggestion given the beneficial results we have seen from CR
so far.  But in my analysis, we are far closer to understanding the
mechanisms involved in the telomeric theory of aging than we are in
understanding how CR works.

It would seem to me that it would be far more effective to fund research into
the fundamental causes of aging that have the potential to provide an
unlimited life span than to spend the same time and effort to understand
processes that "only give everyone extra healthy years".

Thomas Mahoney, Pres.
Lifeline Laboratories, Inc.
http://home.earthlink.net/~excelife/index.html