Boyden chambers/chemotaxis

stebby at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu stebby at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Tue Sep 29 14:59:00 EST 1998

In article <6uotg5$vhi at f1n1.spenet.wfu.edu>,
  kuhnray at wfu.edu (Raymond E. Kuhn, Ph.D.) wrote:
> We are wanting to do some assays on chemotaxis of fibroblasts.  We are
> new to this aspect of research and are fairly clueless, even after
> looking through the literature,  on where to buy the chambers, how to
> set them up and how to run the assays.  The literature generally just
> states that "using Boyden chambers."
> If anyone could provide me with a source of the chambers, a step-wise
> approach to using them and any other simplified information, I would
> really appreciate it.
> Thanks,

Ah yes, the Boyden chamber....brings back memories of college.  This is
a classic folks.  In the old days...ahem...if you needed something
weird, you needed Bellco.  Sure enough, a quick check reveals catalog
#1943-Chemotaxis Chamber and the following references:  Baum, Mowat, and
Kirk, 1971.  Amer. Journal. Lab. Clin. Med 77(3):501-509.  and, as one
might have expected, Boyden 1962.  Journal Expt. Med 115:453.
Basically we are talking two chambers separated by a filter that cells
can squeeze through.  Why did the cell cross the filter?  Why, to get to
the other side of course...where, presumably, an effective
chemoattractant awaits.

Bellco can be reached at 1-800-257-7043.

Have fun.

Regards,
Steve