Permount going cloudy

Ken Hoekstra hoekstra at unixg.ubc.ca
Sun Mar 7 20:43:58 EST 1999

James King (jking001 at nimbus.ocis.temple.edu) wrote:
: On 5 Mar 1999, Peter Ashby wrote:

: > In article <7bnele$in3$1 at nntp.ucs.ubc.ca>, hoekstra at unixg.ubc.ca (Ken
: > Hoekstra) wrote:
: >
: > > I've recently mounted some slides with Permount (Fisher Science).
: > > However, after a few days, the area around my tissue under the coverslip
: > > went cloudy, making the tissue very difficult to see. Tissue was
: > > dehydrated through EtOH series and xylene and then mounted. The Permount
: > > is not yet expired but for some reason changes from clear to cloudy in
: > > few days. No air bubbles under coverslip.
: > >
: > > Any suggestions? Can you remount slides by taking them back to xylene?
: >
: > You can remount by taking back to xylene, no problem. It occurs to me that
: > if your sections aren't fully dehydrated or cleared of ethanol it could
: > give the symptom you describe. Try replacing all your final dehydration
: > solutions.
: >
: > Peter
: >
: 	I believe Peter is correct.  It sounds like those sections are not
: fully dehydrated.  Definitely give it another go by taking the coverslips
: off with xylenes and dehydrating with fresh solution.

: Good luck,
: Jim

Thanks for your suggestions Peter and Jim.

Ken