Biotechnology Symposium

Posting posting at cde.psu.edu
Wed Mar 10 13:51:39 EST 1999

Dear Web site editor:

We believe that you will find the following information of interest to
your viewers and are offering it for your consideration.  It is our goal
to provide outreach education to interested individuals. Please let us
know if you plan to link the Web site of the following program to your Web
site. We will make you aware of similar announcements in the future.

If you have any suggestions or comments about how we can best meet the
needs of your group, or if you prefer that we remove your group from
future postings, we welcome your input.

Thank You.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Outreach Office of Marketing Communications
Internet Research Associate      The Pennsylvania State University
Tel: (814) 865-6585        Keller Building, Suite One
Fax: (814) 865-3343        University Park, PA 16802-1302
E-mail: posting at cde.psu.edu
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

POSTING:
Eighteenth Summer Symposium in Molecular Biology
Chromatin Structure and DNA Function:
Twenty-Five Years of the Nucleosome

 July 21­24, 1999

Penn State University Park Campus,  State College  PA

The 1999 Penn State Summer Symposium in Molecular Biology will
highlight recent advances in chromatin structure and gene activity.
The year 1999 marks the twenty-fifth anniversary of the first research
papers that culminated in the concept of the nucleosome, a
fundamental building block in the structure of chromatin. The role of
interactions of histones and DNA in chromatin for function of the
DNA in transcription, replication, and recombination has become
increasingly apparent.

Internationally known scientists will gather for three days at Penn State
to discuss
four topical areas:

* Structure of chromatin and transcription factor
* Histone modifications and chromatin remodeling
* Epigenetics and chromatin domains
* Replication and recombination

Two special lectures will be particularly appropriate for the silver
anniversary of the
nucleosome:

A historical perspective of chromatin research and how it has been
affected by this paradigm will be delivered by Dr. Robert Simpson.
Dr. Simpson is the holder of the Willaman Chair in Biochemistry and
Molecular Biology at Penn State University. He has been continuously
involved in chromatin structure and function studies for over
twenty-five years and has consequently observed the entire history of
the nucleosome paradigm and its effects on chromatin research.

A description of the high-resolution x-ray crystal structure of the
nucleosome will be delivered by Dr. Timothy Richmond, a professor
at the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biophysics of the
ETH‹Hoenggerberg in Switzerland. While at the MRC laboratories in
Cambridge, England, Dr. Richmond solved the first crystal structure of
the nucleosome together with Sir Aaron Klug, who received the Nobel
prize for his structural studies of nucleoproteins. Richmond¹s
high-resolution structure containing unique DNA, reported in 1997, is
the culmination of years of study and provides a new benchmark for
understanding in atomic detail the contributions of histone-DNA
interactions to the function of the nucleic acid.

Industry exhibits, poster sessions and oral presentations chosen from submitted
abstracts complement the four symposium sessions, keynote address, and one
plenary lecture presented this year. We cordially invite you to
participate in this
exciting program.

POSTER SESSIONS AND ABSTRACTS

Abstracts for poster and oral presentation consideration are due June 15, 1999.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

About registration
Kathy Pollard, Conference Planner
The Pennsylvania State University
118 Keller Building
University Park  PA  16802-1300
Phone: (814) 863-1738
E-mail: ConferenceInfo2 at cde.psu.edu

About program content
Kamal Rashid, Program Director
or Georgia Gasperich, Program Assistant
Eberly College of Science
The Pennsylvania State University
108 Althouse Laboratory
University Park  PA  16802-4502
Phone: (814) 863-1918
Fax: (814) 863-7024
E-mail: ghg2 at psu.edu or kxr9 at psu.edu

To receive a brochure with registration materials, nationwide, call
1-800-PSU-TODAY (1-800-778-8632) or send us an e-mail with your name,
address, phone number, fax number, and Internet address to <
ConferenceInfo2 at cde.psu.edu>.  Please be sure to reference in Molecular
Biology Symposium in all correspondence.

For information about all of Penn State¹s upcoming programs, visit our Web
site: http://www.outreach.psu.edu

This publication is available in alternative media on request.
Penn State is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the
diversity of its workforce.