% molecular composition of cells/organisms

martin weiss mweiss at NYHALLSCI.ORG
Mon Mar 22 16:01:53 EST 1999

 Does anyone know of a source of information about the % molecular
composition (proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, water, DNA and RNA) of
different organisms? For example, paramecium, Sequoia tree, mushroom,
elephant.

I wish to present this information in an exhibition about moleculesas
compared to our molecular makeup. The point that we would like to make is
that have lots and lots of molecules in us (~10^26) and that we share the
same molecules with organisms of diverse size, shape and life style. And
weight for weight we are very similar in numbers of molecules.  Thanks.

Cheers,

Martin
Martin Weiss, Ph.D.
Biology Director