transcription in mammalian cells

aresem01 at MCRCR6.MED.NYU.EDU aresem01 at MCRCR6.MED.NYU.EDU
Tue Mar 30 14:19:36 EST 1999

Hi, I'm trying to set up a cell reporter system by using the Green
Fluorescent Protein under the control of an inducible promoter. All
attempts I've made up to now gave me little results probably because GFP
is not an enzyme and there is no signal amplification, unlike when I
use luciferase as a reporter that works fine. I'm thinking of
"amplifying" the response of my promoter by using an exogenous strong
activator of transcription like the chimera GAL4/VP16, that should be put
under the control of my promoter, I think.
Do you think this is possible? Does anyone know of a good bibliographic
reference on this topic? I'm new to this field and I can't figure out if
this is a reasonable approach to my problem.

Thanks in advance.
Marco