Can Beta-Galactosidase be used as a reporter gene?

itrezzan at pasteur.fr itrezzan at pasteur.fr
Fri Oct 22 07:23:51 EST 1999

On 22 Oct 1999 03:28:00 -0700, tony_shen at 263.NET (Tony Shen) wrote:

>Nowadays most scientist use lusiferase or CAT as a reporter gene.
>But they need a luminometer or scintillation counter to detect the product.
>Can Beta-Galactosidase be used as a reporter gene?
>If so, I could do the reporter assay with a microplate reader.
>
>I want to know whether it is practicable.

Of course beta-galactosidase can still be used as a reporter gene, but
with luciferase the analyse is faster .
With beta-galactosidase, you have to wait between a few minuts and two
hours after addition of ONPG to read the result. And it needs more
manipulation, like the permeabilization of the cells. Also, the cells
analized are destroyed.
But if you have little money and some time, of course
beta-galactosidase is useful for you!

Isabelle Trezzani